We sure weren’t expecting to have this much time at home this year, but here we are. To keep our mental health in check, we’ve been choosing to limit our news intake and focus on the positive, constructive things we can do around the house and yard. Fortunately, spring has arrived, and the chore list has no shortage of tasks on it to keep us busy while we’re stuck at home!
Ready to get to work? Here’s a handy checklist to help you keep moving on your spring garden prep.
- Clean out last year’s leaves and debris from your garden beds.
- Prune dormant trees and shrubs that still need to be cleaned up.
- Clean, sharpen, and disinfect all garden tools to prevent the spread of disease between your plants.
- Plan what you want to plant, and set your landscaping priorities for the year.
- Empty out containers and replace the old soil with fresh, sterile potting mix.
- Check on bulbs that might be peeking out of the ground. Make sure they’re not sitting in any puddles!
- Apply a fresh layer of mulch to your garden beds. Your yard will instantly look neater.
- Spray fruit trees with Dormant Oil spray. This will kill any pests that are overwintering in the tree.
- Treat Ash Trees for Emerald Ash Borer around mid-April. You don’t want to be dealing with these pests, so prevention is key!
- Use a spreader to apply Lawn Fertilizer with Crabgrass Preventer
- Fertilize trees and shrubs with a slow-release granular fertilizer, like Lawn Max 10-10-10 or Espoma HollyTone.
- Deep-clean your patio furniture and BBQ—get it looking spiffy in time to start enjoying the season! We recommend Scotts Outdoor Cleaner.
- Perform maintenance on your hardscapes. Pressure-wash concrete slabs or pressure-safe decking, re-stain wooden hardscapes and fences, and top up polymeric sand between paving stones.
- Wash and refill bird feeders and birdbaths.
- Replace the pump in your water feature, scrub out the inside, and refill with fresh water and aquatic plants.
Once the hard work is done, it’s time for the fun stuff! Fill your garden beds, containers, and hanging baskets with bright and beautiful annuals for an instant dose of color. Add weather-safe textiles to your patio to add comfort and reflect your style. Then, the most important step of all, enjoy your garden escape—you earned it!
Need supplies to get through your spring garden prep checklist? Our online store is open now, and we offer curbside pickup and delivery for online and telephone orders. Don’t forget to text ‘WALLACES’ to 35945 to get $5 off your next purchase and receive more exclusive offers on your mobile device.