Fantastic on warm grilled bread! Also works as a sauce on hot cooked pasta.
- 1 1/3 cups - fresh shelled peas (from about 1 pounds pods) or frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon - kosher salt, plus more
- 1/2 cup - (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon - freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon - finely grated lemon zest
- 1 - shallot, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
10 to 20
10 to 20
- If using fresh peas, cook in a medium saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 3 minutes (if using frozen peas, do not cook).
- Drain, transfer to a bowl of ice water, and let sit until cold, about 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor. Add peas, pepper, lemon zest, 1 tsp. salt, and remaining 1/2 cup butter; pulse until just combined.