Quick-Pickled Vegetables - Use these combinations as a start, then try your own mix of vegetables and spices!
- 12 ounces - trimmed green beans and 1 peeled, sliced shallot with 2 sprigs tarragon
- 12 ounces - peeled roast beets sliced into wedges, and 2 cloves garlic with a pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 5 ounces - peeled, sliced carrots with 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds and 2 slices fresh ginger
- 2 cups - cauliflower florets with 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric and 1 Serrano pepper, halved
10 to 20
10 to 20
- In a pot, boil 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar, 3/4 cup water, two tablespoons each sugar and kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon each black peppercorns and coriander seeds, three allspice berries, and two dried bay leaves (spices are all optional).
- Fill clean jars tightly with vegetables; add herbs and aromatics.
- Pour boiling brine over to cover; let cool completely.
- Cover, label, and refrigerate overnight before using. The quick pickles will keep for up to three months.